Bicycling in the Ardennes is a wonderful experience. It is one of the most beautiful ways to discover the beautiful and unspoiled Ardennes!
Even for those who do not like steep slopes there are plenty of opportunities.
The Ravel network in Belgium offers for the lesser ‘climbers’ amongst us the solution for cycling in the Ardennes. These Ravels together form a large network through Belgium and consist mainly of new cycle paths that are placed on former railways.
Moreover, the Ravels are reserved for non-motorized traffic such as riders, hikers, skaters and cyclists. These Ravels are very popular in Belgium among seniors or parents with young children. Thanks to a maximum increase of only 3%, almost everyone can enjoy the beautiful views in the Ardennes by bike.
RAVEL-trajects in Belgium
At the moment there are 5 Ravel routes that connect large cities in Belgium:
- Ravel 1 (330 km): from west to east through Wallonië, from Houplines to Lanaye.
- Ravel 2 (100 km): from north to east, from Hoegaarden to Mariëmbourg.
- Ravel 3 (90 km): from north to south, from Lembeek to Erquelinnes.
- Ravel 4 (45 km): from north to south, from Overboelare to Saint-Aybert.
- Ravel 5: to date, two short routes have been realized: from Liège to Comblain-La-Tour and from Fléron to Hombourg.
Ravels close to Camping L’Eau Rouge – Stavelot België
Camping L’Eau Rouge offers a perfect base for exploring the Ardennes in Belgium by bike. There are two Ravels next to our campsite:
- Ravel L45: the field road of the old prince
- Ravel L44a: Spa – Stavelot
Whoever follows the Ravel of the old principality immediately discovers the valleys of the Warche and the Amblève in a new and safe way. One can also pause everywhere in the villages on the way, to visit them, to do some shopping or to eat something. An excellent choice, in an area beautifully situated between forest and field.
A little bit more exciting?
If it may be more exciting for you, then have a look at one of the following pages:BMXing at Ferme Libert MTB